September Committee Minutes

Batchwood Hall Golf Club
Minutes of Committee Meeting held on Monday​​ 3rd​​ September​​ 2018

 

 

Present: David Piper, Graham Harvey, Noel Ragunathan, Cliff Highton, Nick Sheppard, Grant Harbour, Bob Reitemeier, Brian Parkes, Alan Williams

Apologies: John Bruley, Janet Mountain,​​ Jon Clapham, Harry Cowtan.

The Club Captain took the chair and welcomed those present at 7.00pm.

Matters arising from August meeting.
Brian Parkes asked what it is we are trying to achieve with GDPR, what is our strategy, do want all members to reply to an​​ email to cover the club for data protections, what has John Bruley requested from Graham Dixon? To be clarified at the next meeting.

Issuse of Will Smeulders expenses to go to St. Andrews discussed. Will asked about his practice round costs as NAPGC do not cover these. Noel states that he received no financial assistance, however Graham knows that in the past some members attending NAPGC finals have received assistance.

Noel and Brian believe that the NAPGC will cover finals day and possibly the cost of 1​​ night accommodation, however the participants are required to pay upfront and claim back by completing a expenses form. Graham will check with the NAPGC (Colin Balantyne) what is covered by NAPGC, (as yet no complete data).

It was decided that the club would provide Will with £100 to assist with his expenses (no receipts would be required). The club will now review how we pay for finals participants in the future should members qualify.

Minutes of the August meeting approved. Proposed by Nick Sheppard and seconded by Cliff Highton.

Captain’s Report
We have been informed of the deaths of two long standing members this month, Brian Timbs and Michael Walsh. We send our condolences to family and friends and our thoughts are with them. I, along with many other members attended Brian’s funeral service at West Herts Crematorium. It was a moving service and the club was very well represented. The family held the wake in the clubhouse and Jeremy Gardiner-Brown spoke about Brian on behalf of the club. I was unable to attend the wake and thank Jeremy for representing our club. The clubhouse was packed with Brian’s family and

friends.

 

On August 11 we held Invitation Day, another major fixture in the Club calendar. This year 30 members and their guests played a round of 4BBB in the morning followed by a round of Greensomes in the afternoon. I was due to play but my partner had been double booked and had to drop out. This meant that I was able to act as the Starter, which I really enjoyed since it meant that I was able to meet all of the guests and watch everybody tee off. The overall prize for most points on the day went to Mark Todd and his guest Richard Howells with 88 points. Runners up were Paul Johnson and Trevor Barker with 86 points. Amongst the other prizes on the day, was a nearest the

pin in 2 shots on a par 4. In the morning we did this for guest on the 15th hole. Amazingly, two guests eagled this hole! Congratulations to Chris Weir and Richard Howells.

 

As a Club we are very fortunate that we have many members and staff who play a part in these events. There is a lot of work done, some seen some not seen. My most grateful thanks to Noel, Paul Manito, Bob Reitemeier, Dean Tugman, Chris Fennessy and Sophia for the food. John Bruley for the ‘meet and greet’ and ball​​ sweep. Peter Smith for administering the competition (aided by Graham Harvey). John Bruley, Bob Reitemeier, Steve Marshall and Graham Harvey for entering the scores. Ross and Neil Kemp for the trophies. Jeremy Gardiner-Brown for ball spotting. Most importantly, thank you to ALL the members and their guests who entered the competition because without you

there can be no competition. The day was enjoyed by all who took part. I’ve taken my only opportunity during the school holidays to play twice on a Thursday​​ with the 5 day

members. As Captain I want to try to meet as many members as I can during the year. I now have an understanding of how the 5 day section works and can put a name to a few more faces. I was made to feel very welcome and these two visits have​​ been most enjoyable. I thank you all and hope to do it again sometime.

 

Our fixtures in the Herts Friendly League are drawing to a close. We nearly beat Rickmansworth at home but lost by a single point. Our last away match at Stevenage resulted in another​​ solid second place! I’m delighted to report that we won our final home match against Little Hay. I really do appreciate the support of members who put themselves forward to represent the club. Special mention to Kevin Bond and Keith Putnam who were the top scoring pair for our last three matches.

 

During August I managed to play with another 10 members, this brings the total to 90 for the year so far.

 

I have received a letter from Melvyn Shoob’s widow, Elaine, who having sold off Melvyn’s golf equipment with assistance from Brian Citron has made a donation, in Melvyn’s memory, to my Captain’s charity of £500. This is a very generous donation which means that I’m delighted to tell you that the total raised for the Rennie Grove Hospice Care has now passed £2200. Your continued generosity is very much appreciated and I really don’t get tired of saying this. I spoke with Elaine to

thank her and to tell her that Melvyn is still very much missed at the Club.

 

Finally, the winners of the September Medal were Matt​​ Newland in Division 1 with a gross 66 (net 63) and Jon Clapham in Division 2 with a gross 94 (net 69). I send my congratulations to you both and hope you appreciate your new handicaps. Enjoy your golf in September.

 

Lady Captain’s Report
We seem fated with​​ our friendly matches this year as the match at home versus Panshanger was cancelled because of the extreme heat, something that has never happened before.

The rearranged Plummer Cup is on Sunday 12 August and I am pleased to see that more pairs have entered this time.

The mixed match against Little Hay at home on Sunday 26 August was also cancelled due to their lack of lady players. ​​ They only have fifteen ladies and only half play in matches. ​​ Unfortunately, this is a problem that is facing all the Municipal courses including ours. ​​ So another chance to play with the Club Captain went by the board and we now have to wait until November.

Lady Captain’s day on Tuesday 11 September – there are eleven ladies playing golf and eleven ladies just coming to the lunch. ​​ I will keep my fingers crossed that this lovely weather continues until then.

The Berkhamsted Plate on Tuesday 18 September versus the seniors - ​​ as we only have 3 ladies names down at the moment it looks like another competition that will be cancelled unless the numbers improve by next week.

Competition results for July:​​ 

Medal 7/10 July​​   Winner Lorraine White Net 71  ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​​​  R/up Sheila Burton Net 72

Extra Medal 21/24 July  Winner Lorraine White Net 68  ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​​​  R/up Chiew Kong Net 72

Breast Stableford Cancer  Chiew King 37 Points  ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​​​ 
Sheila Parkes 35 points

The Stockwood home friendly -Monday 3 September – we have just managed to get 5 ladies from each side​​ 

Further competitions:

Saturday 15 September-Redbourn Business ladies @ home

Sunday 16 September-Hawtree Salver (mixed)

Sunday 30 September-Captains 4 BBB

So as you can see from the above​​ it is a very busy month but it is getting very difficult to get enough ladies to play, particularly in the friendly matches. ​​ Something we will have to look at next year before fixing any dates.

Enjoy this lovely autumnal weather while it lasts.

Membership​​ Report
No new members known to date this month. Brian suggests an appointed committee member to administer and act as a New Members Secretary, although some believe Dave McLean was still a co-opted member to perform this function. Clarification required.

Treasurer’s Report
Year end accounts end on 30-Sept - all payments should as far as is feasible be made into the club account before this date.

 

Bar stock take to be done on 30-Sept - action NR

 

Clothing stock take required to be done on 30-Sept - action JB

 

Clothing sales in this financial year is £125 and purchases are £99.67. Stock value is approx. £975 - full reconciliation required at stock take, It was noted that some items of clothing such as beanie hats and golf towels were not being routed thru the​​ club. All clothing sales and purchases are to be included in club clothing activity. 

 

Next Financial Subcommittee meeting will be held before the November committee meeting to report on club accounts for 2018-2019.

 

Five Day Report
The 5 Day medal will​​ be played this coming Thursday, 6th September.

Bob Gilder and John Smith won the 4BBB event earlier in August with a score of 62.

The three summer competitions are up to date with one final scheduled for the medal round and the other two at the semi-final​​ stage.

The third round of the Alex Mitchell trophy had to be postponed following heavy rain and no play and has now been rescheduled.

One outcome of this was that Noel has requested that we notify him when this happens again. In the past we have always let​​ Jacqui know as early as possible on the day. Alan confirmed that he would let Bob Gilder and Ray Parker know accordingly.

Sadly, the death of a past 5 Day member, Peter Fisher, had recently been announced. He and his wife lived close to and were friends of Brian Timbs. Enquiries had been made to Noel about holding the wake in the clubhouse but as it was to be held on a Thursday lunchtime, an arrangement was not possible as the clubhouse would be in use.

The 5 Day section was very appreciative of the club captain’s efforts in joining them for 2 Thursday sessions. On the second occasion, David and partner finished second in the Texas Scramble

There were 2 items mentioned from the August meeting where an update was requested.

First of all, the buggy situation​​ had caused difficulties for two weeks running with both 5 and 7 Day members making a booking, only to be later informed that they did not in fact have a buggy. The on-going maintenance and booking issues were due to be discussed at the next Liaison meeting​​ with the Centre but this had not happened. They would be brought up at the next meeting

Secondly, the situation regarding the updating of the 5 Day boards was mentioned. One had not been updated since 2014 and 2 others since 2015. Noel confirmed that he had some plates and Alan would let him know the relevant names so that this could be resolved.

On some subscription and fees lists in the entrance area of the clubhouse, it was stated that Annual Subs for 7 Day members were £82 and for 5 Day members were £94, which for whatever reason did not appear to be correct. The totals with Competition fees were however correct at £130 and £120 respectively. It was not known who had placed the sheets there or the basis for these sums and the treasurer would speak to the secretary to see how this might have arisen prior to any amendments

Senior Captain’s Report
Senior Captain’s Report for the September Executive meeting of Batchwood Hall Golf Club on Monday 3rd​​ September 2018:

I am delighted to advise you that Rory Byrne​​ has agreed to become my Vice-Captain for the remainder of the season and will be The Senior Captain in 2019.

Since our last meeting the seniors have beaten Shendish at Batchwood on the 15th​​ August by 4 ½ to 1 ½ and then travelled to Stockwood Park and​​ managed a 3-3 draw on the 20th​​ August.

Coming up we have nearly 10 entries in the Bushey Hall Senior Open on Wednesday 5th​​ September well down on previous years. We take on Little Hay Away on Thursday the 13th​​ September in the 4 Club Challenge and a good result would give us 2nd​​ place behind Rickmansworth. Chris Dunn and I have entered the Harpenden Common Senior Pairs Competition on the 14th​​ September. We welcome the Shire Seniors a new fixture to Batchwood on Monday 17th​​ September. On the 18th​​ September​​ we take on the Ladies in the Berkhamsted Plate.

Competition Secretary’s Report
Winter competitions are now open at the club and online.

Most summer competitions are on track to be completed by the end of October. Most are at semi-final stage, but a couple​​ are overdue but Graham is aware of these ones and allowance provided to complete.

Graham will create a copy of Matt Newland’s scorecard from 8th​​ September. This will be mounted and put up in the clubhouse as a current members course record.

Hole in One fund. Members need now to pay £3 to clear deficit as the bar is owed £122. This should be cleared by 9th​​ September. This has now been paid and the credit is about £35. Expect more funds to be paid in this at the next hole in One ask for £3 again and this will​​ boost the fund to cover future events.

Honorary Secretary’s Report
No report.

Chairman of the House Report
Yes, August has been a very busy month again. ​​ We had the Invitation Day, Societies and Brian Timbs’ wake. ​​ The bar takings is around £2,000 for a couple of weeks. ​​ Brian Timbs’ family spent nearly £800.00 on the bar and food and his son phoned me to thank me and the club after a few days on behalf of his mother and his other brother. ​​ I must thank all the members who helped me on Invitation Day, Paul​​ Manito, Bob Reitemeier, Dean Tugman, Dax Goose and Chris Fennessy and all the staff. ​​ Special thanks to Dean who volunteered to help me at the last minute for Timb’s wake plus we had forty people for a Society the same day. ​​ We seem to be doing more Societies and other events but I am unable to do these on my own and volunteers are a bit thin on the ground. ​​ We may have to employ staff to do these events and I do not know if it is going to be worth it once we have paid the staff, I will have to look into this. ​​ 

 

P.A.Y.E:

I want to talk about the PAYE situation. ​​ Brian Parkes was liaising and consulting with our accountant, getting advice and conference calls for which he paid around £450.00. ​​ In the end they were no help to us and it was passed on to me to​​ deal with. ​​ At last the backlog of PAYE’s has been sorted. ​​ I have got the P60s for the employees and I will pass these on to Brian Parkes, he can post one and hand the other to the staff who still works here. ​​ I had a lot of difficulty with this because​​ we had to backdate these to 2016, 2017 and 2018. ​​ The system changed with HMRC and you have to submit all these on line. ​​ In the end I had to ask my Accountant to give me help with this and even for him it took time and a lot of telephone calls to HMRC to​​ sort this. ​​ He did this as a favour to me. ​​ We may have to pay some surcharges to HMRC for late submissions and Brian should have these figures but I am not sure. ​​ From now on I will keep the PAYE up to date and I am in the process of doing 2018/19.  ​​ ​​​​ 

 

Alcohol Licence:

We already talked at the Committee Meeting about changing the licence to Premises licence and we all agreed. Brian Parkes got the form, filed it in and told me he is going to see the council but this this never happened. ​​ After a lot of reminders and emails he told me he would sort this out on Thursday 23rd​​ August. ​​ I reminded him that morning by text but did not hear anything until lunch time when I phoned him again and he told me to look at the emails. ​​ On the emails he is asking me, “if we change the licence how do we cater for non-members, golf societies, clubhouse hire for meetings and parties, visiting clubs for competitions, and Invitation Day & quiz night”. ​​ We already discussed all this in the committee. ​​ Anyway when I confronted him​​ about this in the Clubhouse that night he was abusive and walked out. I have not heard anything more about it. ​​ Now I need help to get this sorted, we got an email from Brian Gathern about withdrawing his licence and I have got the appropriate forms. ​​ I would like John Burley to help me with this. ​​ 

 

Shutters:

I have called the shutter company to service the shutters and doors. ​​ The lady advised me either the engineer will call me or send me an email. ​​ Since then I have received a quotation which is £300.00. ​​ This is purely for servicing that means if any items cannot be rectified by adjustment and/or lubrication would be detailed in our post service report/quotation. ​​ I have got the copy of the quotation if any members of the Committee would like to see it. ​​ 

 

Ladies Loos:

One was leaking and one flusher handle was broken. ​​ I have put a new handle on and replaced the grommet behind the toilet ball. ​​ They have taken a box of paper towels and they said they would pay for it direct to Brian Parkes.  ​​​​ 

 

Golf​​ Course Improvements
Noel and Brian attended the last liaison meeting and Noel had a copy of the minutes.

Brian suggested more frequent meetings and wold ask Matt for bi-monthly meetings. Graham added that if these coincide with Fridays then he can attend.​​ (Brian has since agreed the last Friday of every month) which will mean that Graham will not always be available.

Any other Business
Brian made reference to Constitution changes. Should they be added to the agenda for the October meeting or should an extra​​ meeting be called? To be resolved.

Figure of £30 a head and menu set for the Presentation Dinner Dance at The Irish Club on Saturday 24th​​ November, but we need a minimum number. ​​ A disco has to be arranged and Grant suggested we leave that to The Irish Club.

Graham advised that he has poster that can be provided to enable members to sign up early, but Noel and David informed meeting they would arrange for posters to be put up.

David proposed Kevin Lewis to be Vice-Captain for the rest of the year and Club​​ Captain for 2019. All present agreed to this proposal.

David requested information regarding the Redbourn Shield. Graham informed that historically the team comprises ex-captains and current secretary although in more recent years this tended to be ex-captains and current committee members. The club do pay for the cost of representation at the event, but not any sweep arranged on the day.

Meeting closed at 8.45pm

Date of next meeting: Monday 8th​​ October 2018 at 7.00pm

6